I’m still trying to hang onto summer. My kids and I are riding our bikes to the park daily to play baseball, swing on the swings, and play chase. (Which basically means that I am chasing them while they scream their heads off and when I catch them they get tickled like crazy.) Sometimes we even pair the park with a trip to the swimming pool. All this playing wouldn’t be complete without a two hour nap in the late afternoon. Unfortunately this means we stay up late too. Matthew is supposed to start preschool in two weeks and then I’m afraid we’re going to have a rude awakening. Our schedules are going to have to change!
This recipe definitely makes me think of summertime. I found it in the Taste of Home magazine and it quickly became a barbecue favorite. I didn’t adjust anything. Well, okay, I did add way more than 2 tablespoons of cilantro, and I actually use the whole jalapeño, and…I’ll explain later- but I left the recipe below as it was written in the magazine. The sour cream with a hint of lime works perfectly with the slight spiciness of the broccoli slaw. It’s easy to prepare both of those ahead of time so that when company comes you’re only grilling chicken and chopping a few veggies and you’re ready to go!
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup broccoli coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz each)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 8 Hawaiian sweet rolls, split
- 8 small lettuce leaves
- 8 slices tomato
- Combine sour cream, lime peel and lime juice in a small bowl. Cover and pop in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
- In another bowl combine slaw ingredients. Cover and add next to the lime sour cream in the fridge until you’re good & hungry.
- Cut each chicken breast in half widthwise and flatten to 1/2 inch in thickness. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- Grill chicken over medium heat; covered for 4-7 minutes on each side. For an inside option, you could broil four inches from the heat.
- Grill rolls, cut sides down until toasted. (30 seconds)
- Spread the lime sour cream on your toasted rolls, add chicken, lettuce, tomato, and slaw.
Serves about 8
Okay, so I kinda fibbed when I said that I didn’t adjust this recipe at all. The truth is I always make double the slaw because when you buy a bag of broccoli slaw mix, it has more than just one cup and I’ll be honest, this is the one and only recipe I have so far that calls for it. I also realized I just follow the ingredients in the slaw, but use what I bought. So I use the entire jalapeño, most of a bunch of cilantro, and the entire red pepper. That way, when there’s a ton of leftovers after making the sliders we have salad! So here’s a remake of what I do for the slaw and then what I add to the slaw after company has left and the house has been cleaned again (or left a total disaster) and we want something simple to make for lunch.
- 1 bag broccoli coleslaw mix
- 1 finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño with seeds and ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn; cooked
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 chopped roma tomatoes
- ranch dressing or tomatillo ranch dressing
- Mix the above ingredients down to the sugar and use for the sliders.
- Add the corn, black beans and roma tomatoes when you’re ready to eat a salad.
- Top with your choice of salad dressing and enjoy leftovers!