So I guess we didn’t get enough roasted red pepper with the humus a couple weeks ago, we had to add it pasta too! I started taking pictures of this process the very first time I made this recipe. I just knew it would have to be delicious. I wanted this to be different enough from our “normal” lasagna, healthy-ish, flavorful and hopefully make enough so that my family could eat it for leftovers. That way, all the work I put in the first night would pay off the second night when I wouldn’t have to do anything except reheat pasta and make some garlic bread. Mmmmm…let me tell you, this did not disappoint. At first, Matthew refused to even try a bite because I had promised lasagna and “This doesn’t smell like lasagna,” but once we convinced him to try a bite he shouted, “I like it, Mom!” Mike’s reaction was, “Wow, this is good babe” and Lindsay said, “Oh, Mom I love dis pasta!” (squeal) So the Plunkett critics agree, this dish is a winner!
- 1 box whole wheat lasagna noodles
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1/2-3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/2 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (1 tablespoon)
- salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 breast from a rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 /2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 15 oz tub Low Fat Ricotta cheese
- 1 8 oz package Neufchatel cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian flavored panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 up Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 cup fresh basil chiffonade
- Begin boiling water for pasta.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and drizzle in olive oil. Add the onions and cook until just translucent (about three minutes), then add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add roasted red pepper and tomatoes. Cook for another couple minutes until sauce is warmed through. Blend all ingredients in a blender and return to skillet. Add 1 cup of milk to sauce, stir, and turn down to low while you make filling.
- By now it should be time to add pasta to your boiling water. Cook lasagna noodles 10 minutes.
- Shred chicken breast. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika over shredded chicken and mix well with hands to coat all chicken.
- Using a fork stir together Ricotta cheese & cream cheese until well mixed. Add egg and mix thoroughly. Stir in spinach, roasted tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and chicken.
- Drain lasagna noodles and rinse with cold water. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Turn heat off for the sauce, add lemon juice & stir. Add 1/2 cup roasted red pepper sauce to the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish.
- Assemble lasagna roll-ups by spooning filling onto the full length of each noodle.
- Roll the noodle so that it forms a pinwheel and then put it end side down into the baking dish. Your dish should hold 12 lasagna roll-ups.
- Top roll-ups with the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle Italian panko crumbs over each roll along with the parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional five minutes.
- Garnish with basil
Notes- Serves 4-6