For anyone whose New Year’s resolutions included eating healthier or not skipping breakfast this post is for you! I’ve heard the phrase we all need to “eat the rainbow” from nutritionists encouraging us to put a variety of food types on our plates. This quinoa bowl does just that. I love the combination of the fresh greens and creamy goat cheese that eventually melts into the warm potatoes and eggs. I wash it all down with orange juice in a “fancy glass” with a splash of peach schnapps. You know, to make sure the fruit food group is covered. Mmmmm . . .
We love Rapid City for many reasons, but one thing we enjoy is going downtown for brunch at our favorite coffee shops. This is a re-creation of one of those breakfast favorites that we were denied during quarantine. It takes about 30-40 minutes from start to finish so it’s not necessarily fast, but it’s totally worth it. Michael and I are the only ones who will eat this, so even though I’m only scrambling 4 eggs, I usually make extra sweet potatoes and quinoa so that we have enough for the next day without all the hassle. These pictures were taken with spinach, but I love arugula in here as well so whichever you have on hand will work. This recipe is written for four adult bowls, but it’s easily halved.
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more later to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper (more to taste)
- 1 jar roasted red peppers
- 2 cups spinach or arugula
- Chèvre goat cheese
- Salsa (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cut sweet potatoes into 1 inch pieces and place in a mixing bowl
- Pour olive oil over potatoes, add paprika & chile powder, garlic powder, & stir to coat
- Line baking sheet with foil, parchment paper, or silicone mat for easy clean up. Spread sweet potatoes on sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring once after the first ten minutes. Meanwhile…
- Combine 1 cup of water and 1 cup chicken broth in small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add quinoa, stir, cover, reduce heat to simmer. Cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Slice roasted red peppers in strips
- Crumble goat cheese
- Add butter to frying pan & melt over low heat. Add eggs, scramble in pan and cook until done.
- Assemble bowls with quinoa on bottom & top with eggs, sweet potatoes, spinach, cheese, red peppers, & salsa (if desired.) It may look pretty when it’s served with each food in its own little space, but you’ll destroy it eventually by mixing all that goodness together!
- Serves 4