Spring makes me happy. Summer makes me happier. Fresh strawberries make me think of both. While strawberries are probably my favorite fruit of all time, when they are mixed with rhubarb my world is all kinds of shocked and shaken. In a good way. I love the tartness that the rhubarb adds to the strawberries that they lack when they’re solo.
So I don’t know if this is like blog-cheating or not, but my plan for the next few days is to post recipes using this delicious compote. They’re extremely simple, but amazing nonetheless. Yum, yum yum!
- 1 pound diced rhubarb (about 4 cups)
- 1 box strawberries
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to low so that it is simmering.
- Simmer for 30 minutes for a thin sauce and 45 for a thick sauce. (I prefer the full 45. As it cools it will continue to thicken.)
- Compote can be served hot over oatmeal, french toast, waffles, or cold on toast, biscuits, yogurt. Mmmm…Who’s hungry?
- Store in the fridge.
Recipe from Laylita’s Recipes